Thursday, May 7, 2009

A visit from the Queen's Royal British Guard...


On Tuesday Britain’s Queen Royal Guard visited the school I work at and showed our students how the changing of the guards is done. They soldiers, of Britain’s Grenadier Guards Army Infantry Regiment, were visiting Utah this week as they are doing training before being deployed to Afghanistan. Because we are so close to Camp Williams and Eagle Mountain is always doing some kind of Tribute to the Troops, our school was chosen for their demonstration. I have to be honest, I thought the idea was cool but wasn’t going to attend the demonstration as I had other big projects to be working on. It wasn’t until the secretary told me to go out and get some fresh air that I was even semi interested in watching. Boy was I glad that I did. The changing of the guards is an AMAZING show (if that’s even proper to call it) and I literally stood there the entire time with my jaw dropped and in complete awe!!!! Every step was in precise unison; they marched from a quick step to a steady slow step then turned and stopped on command. Every march was a stomping type motion; they have spikes in the bottom of their shoes that they are supposed to dig into the ground as the do every march. It was so amazing how they could stay on pace because the beats kept changing and never once was one of them off!!! Because the ceremonial informs are so big and elaborate, only three of the soldiers wore their traditional red and black Buckingham Palace attire with the big Bearskin cap. The rest of the guard wore their camouflage fatigues, so I can only imagine how amazing the real deal is! After the ceremonial demonstration was over the guard members played some tag football with the students and took pictures.


These are some pictures of the staff at Rockwell with the guard members.

I have to say that I feel very lucky to have been able to watch and interact with the Queens Royal Guard Members. I consider it a once in a lifetime opportunity. Teaching at a High School really is probably the most enjoyable and rewarding job ever! I’ve experienced so many life experiences in such a short time, who would of thought!!!!

No comments: